The temperatures have really started to drop this week here in the mountains of Western North Carolina, which can only mean one thing: soup season! When it’s cold outside I crave all things soup, chili, and stew. One of my all time favorite meals growing up, and still to this day, is chicken and dumplings. My mom makes the absolute best chicken and dumplings, and does it all from scratch! While her recipe really can’t be beat, I just don’t have the energy during a busy work week to follow all those steps! So between my research and many trial and errors, I’ve come up with my own quick and easy chicken and dumplings recipe to satisfy those home-cooking cravings during a crazy work week.
What you need:
- 1 rotisserie chicken (I try to stick with a traditional style chicken. Avoid any extra seasonings if possible.)
- 2 16oz cans buttermilk biscuits (I prefer Pillsbury brand, but any will do.)
- 1 10oz can cream of chicken soup
- 1 32oz box chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 stick real butter
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- And an additional 3/4 cup milk for a thickener you will make
What you do:
01. Remove the chicken from the bones and shred with your fingers. Larger pieces can be diced with a knife. Set aside.
02. Roll biscuit dough into long strips by rolling between your palms and cut into 1/2in pieces. Keep dough refrigerated until ready for use.
03. In a large pot, combine the chicken stock, cream of chicken soup, and milk. Wisk together until the soup is fully dissolved. Add poultry seasoning, salt, and pepper.
04. Bring to a boil then add the butter. Reduce the heat to medium-low so that the liquid continues to simmer, not boil.
05. When the butter has melted, start dropping the biscuits into the liquid. Stir occasionally and reduce heat if necessary.
06. Once all the biscuits are in the liquid, let them boil while you prepare a thickener.
07. To prepare the thickener, combine 1/4 cup of flour with 3/4 cup of milk. Wisk together thoroughly.
08. Slowly add the thickener to the liquid and biscuits, stirring constantly. You will notice this will start to thicken your liquid.
09. Once the liquid starts to thicken, add the chicken. Cover the pot and allow mixture to cook for approximately 15 minutes or until the biscuits are no longer doughy.
10. Serve hot and enjoy!
Find other recipes and cooking-related posts here.