One of my favorite things about Christmas is all the homemade goodies! Every year my grandmother makes tons of homemade candy for us to take home. This usually includes peanut butter balls, brownies, fudge, chocolate covered coconut, chocolate covered pretzels, chocolate covered raisins, chocolate covered nuts… are you catching my drift?
I saw a recipe for muddie buddies (aka puppy chow) on the back of a box of Chex cereal, which got me craving this fun holiday version of the snack. You guys, this is so extremely easy to make. I’ve made it twice this season for holiday parties and it’s been a hit both times.
What you need:
1. 9 cups of Corn Chex cereal
2. 1 cup of milk chocolate chips (most recipes call for semisweet chocolate chips, but I prefer the milk chocolate. Try both and pick what ever you like best!)
3. 1/2 cup of creamy peanut butter
4. 1/4 cup butter (I’m not even going to put “or margarine” here. Come on people!)
5. 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
6. 1 cup holiday M&Ms (as you will see below, I didn’t use the holiday colored M&Ms in this batch because the grocery store was completely out, but the green and red make it much more festive!)
7. 1 cup mini pretzels
8. 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
9. 1 1 gallon resealable food storage bag
1. Measure Chex cereal into a large bowl and set aside.
2. In a microwave safe bowl, combine chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter. Microwave uncovered and on high for 1 minute. Stir and microwave for an additional 30 seconds or until mixture is nice and smooth.
3. Stir vanilla into mixture and pour onto cereal. Stir cereal until evenly coated.
4. In the 1 gallon bag, pour in the powdered sugar. Next, pour in the Chex cereal and shake until well coated.
5. Once coated, pour the cereal back into your mixing bowl. Stir in your M&Ms and pretzels.
6. Once mixed, pour into a clean serving bowl and enjoy!
What holiday recipes do you love? Share your links and recipes in the comments below!